Library Love

Monday, November 10, 2014

The Chronicles of Prydain

Personal Opinion: I genuinely feel like I am a better person for having read these books. They are older and don't have super cool covers, so Michael had to prod me to open up the first book... and I am so glad I did! This is a book series that really grows along with you. Lloyd Alexander did a masterful job of creating so many layers and messages that you glean more each time you read them, no matter what age you are. In complete honesty, Taran kind of annoyed me at first... but he's supposed to. He isn't perfect, but the process of him transforming from boy into man is simply heartwarming. This series has a hint of a Lord of the Rings/Chronicles of Narnia feel to it. The Chronicles of Prydain are books I will treasure in my library for many, many years to come. 

Overview: Here's how goodreads summarizes the first book, The Book of Three: 

Taran wanted to be a hero, and looking after a pig wasn't exactly heroic, even though Hen Wen was an oracular pig. But the day that Hen Wen vanished, Taran was led into an enchanting and perilous world. With his band of followers, he confronted the Horned King and his terrible Cauldron-Born. These were the forces of evil, and only Hen Wen knew the secret of keeping the kingdom of Prydain safe from them. But who would find her first?

Age Group: The publisher recommends these books for ages 8 and older. Because these are older stories with some unfamiliar words, I wonder if age 8 might be a little young to be reading these books on your own. However, if read aloud, I definitely agree that you will enjoy this story whether you are 8 or 80.  

Caution Content: These kids get caught in some sticky, and scary situations at times. There are some tricky witches and evil creatures involved. The language however is very clean and the romance is completely age appropriate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment